[Buddha-l] buddhisness

Scott A. Mitchell buddhaworld at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:17:35 MDT 2011

Hello all,

The phrase "long-time listener, first-time caller" jumps to mind, so, here goes.

I've greatly enjoyed the discussion so far on this issue as it's one I think about not too infrequently. I'd like to point our collective attention to the work of Jeremy Carrette and Richard King in their book "Selling Spirituality" for a critique of religion-as-commodity. I think they have some good points (can't say I agree with everything, but that's sort of always true, no?), one of which is the following: is it possible for a commodity within the capitalist system to actually critique the system of which it is a part? That is, if Buddhism becomes merely a commodity within the capitalist marketplace, will it be able to effectively critique capitalism? I'm personally on the fence on that one -- leaving aside the other question of whether or not one necessarily needs to critique the capitalist enterprise in the first place. But I think this points to the misgivings Franz and Joanna express.

At any rate. Thanks for the discussion.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott A. Mitchell