[Buddha-l] Is there any basis for the allegations concerning the "expulsion" of Ani Karma Lhamu?

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Aug 12 10:10:07 MDT 2011

What appears, at least to me, to be an especially ugly smear campaign
has been making the rounds on teh interwebs for a month now. The gist of
the story is that a Nepali nun (named Ani Karma Lhamu, and also referred
to as Sangita Lama) was (or was going to be) expelled from the Sangha of
nuns because she had been raped. That (in my view intentionally false)
version of events appears to originate from a July 11 article in the
Times of India (TOI) written by Sudeshna Sarkar and titled "Gangraped
Nepal nun now faces expulsion from nunnery" (fair warning: the details
of the brutal attack on this young woman are truly horrifying and
heart-breaking):
http://tinyurl.com/3s94jnn

The Nepal Buddhist Federation (NBF), for its part, has publicly taken
the position that no such expulsion ever took place, and indeed there is
(so far as I can tell) no evidence whatsoever that any such expulsion
was ever considered at all. In fact the NBF have committed themselves to
ensuring that she is returned to the nunnery where she lived and trained
for years prior to her trip to India (where she was raped by five men on
a bus). Here is the NBF statement:
http://www.sherpaworld.com/show.php?at=1&sn=4115

A great deal of self-righteous chest-beating has occurred on blogs and
online discussion forums, all of it, in my opinion, based on false
allegations and misleading insinuations contained in the TOI article.

Does anyone know of any independent sources of information regarding
this case, or in any other way have any light to shed on this very dark
story?

Curt Steinmetz