[Buddha-l] Gandharan Buddhist Art at NY Asia Society

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Sun Aug 14 19:17:14 MDT 2011

Gang,

On Aug 14, 2011, at 5:30 PM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Your email client - like mine -- is too dumb to
> mess things up.... So the browser is smart enough
> to disregard the misleading instruction that is
> confusing our email clients (and Donna's, and
> likely others who haven't weighed in).

I'm using Apple's mail.app and I'm glad to say my email client is clearly smart enough to parse Richard's mailer's instructions. I see the diacriticals fine (except when resent through Dan's emailer). I wonder if mail.app *sends* them properly....

Here's a quote from Dan, quoting Lance:

> You are still using Theravāda in a
> distinct sense.

Note that Dan's mailer is able to preserve Lance's diacriticals. If the ā is not in this post as others read it, that is likely the fault of my own mailer. But I find no other diacriticals in Dan's posts. So, Dan, are you using them or leaving them out? I have seen a Chinese character in your recent post, so that works, but nothing else unicode.

Can someone tell me why this discussion is important? And why I'm contributing to it? No, better not to know that second answer.

Franz