[Buddha-l] Social codes [was: Gandharan Buddhist Art at NY Asia Society]

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Wed Aug 17 13:22:49 MDT 2011

On Behalf Of Franz Metcalf
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:11 PM

Gang,

>....... Buddhism in the West needs to bridge the gap >between the reality
of its texts and teachers and the ideal of its ancient myths and its modern
>projections. This is hard work, and I think other schools can learn a lot
from the example of the Jodo >Shinshu school in Canada and the US.

Franz

Yes, indeed. I think it's fair to say that practicers like Stephen Batchelor
and a few others have done very well so far to communicate bridging this
gap.

Joanna