[Buddha-l] Stephen Batchelor [was: Social codes]

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Wed Aug 17 14:42:16 MDT 2011

 On Behalf Of Franz Metcalf
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:58 PM

Joanna,
[....]
Yes. In fact, I have to admit to a kind of spiritual crush on Stephen
Batchelor. Or perhaps it's that, when I grow up, I want to be like him. In
any case, my admiration for his sincerity and his candor--both internal and
external--is immense.

Richard recently posted a thoughtful musing on various matters, bringing
Batchelor's work into the mix. I didn't have time to comment on it then--nor
do I now--but I believe his recent work (_Buddhism without Beliefs_ and
_Confession of a Buddhist Atheist_) are the nearest thing to required
reading for contemporary Buddhists.

Franz

Hi Franz,

Totally agree. I also would mention his insightful book on Mara: _Living
with the Devil. A Meditation on Good and Evil_.  I have to admit that I've
not read anything yet by his wife, probably a serious lack.

Joanna