[Buddha-l] An "eastern" unquiet example

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Tue Dec 6 10:39:07 MST 2011

Chris--I just checked my sent file for 11/11 and there is no evidence that I
sent this link from the AT to Buddha-L. Maybe I put it on some other list? I
don't recall saying anything about this controversy here.  If I DID send
this to Buddha-L, please post the entire sent record.
Joanna

On Behalf Of Christopher Fynn
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 11:02 PM

On 11 November 2011 03:58, Jo <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:
> http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/MK10Df01.html
>
> ..The rich diversity in the various tellings of the Ramayana that
> Ramanujan wrote about raised the hackles of the Hindu right in 2008,
> when activists of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the
> student wing of the Sangh Parivar (a family of Hindu right-wing
> organizations) vandalized Delhi University's history department to
> protest against the teaching of this essay, describing it as a
> "blasphemous" essay that was "malicious, capricious, fallacious and
offensive to the beliefs of millions of Hindus".

I sometimes wonder how much of the intolerance of these contemporary Hindu
groups is due to India's long exposure to intolerant Muslim and Christian
regimes - from whom they seem to have to have learned a lot.