[Buddha-l] Linux WP for Tibetan?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Dec 16 07:39:41 MST 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 4:35 AM, Margaret Gouin <gouin.me at gmail.com> wrote:

> LibreOffice has an extention (originally designed for OpenOffice) which
> converts directly to epub format: http://writer2epub.en.softonic.com/
> I've only tried it with english-language documents, works fine there.

There are also several ways to convert LaTeX files to ePub format. One way is to generate XHTML output and then convert that to ePub. Another is to generate an ePub directly from the command line by using pandoc. See
http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/

I have used calibre to convert PDF to ePub, but the results are not very encouraging. Many PDF files end up being treated as jpeg, which is static and can't be annotated, highlighted or resized in the way that most ePub documents can. That is especially the case with PDF files that are the result of scanning.

I just finished a course in which every reading was from on-line journal articles. More and more I find myself facing a room filled with students doing their reading and note taking on iPads, Nook readers, kindles and (for really old-fashioned types) laptops. It's been years since I last saw a student use a ballpoint and a pad of paper.

Richard