[Buddha-l] New Buddhist Topic--Buddhism and Cats

S. A. Feite sfeite at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 30 06:44:22 MST 2011

On Dec 28, 2011, at 11:40 PM, Katherine Masis wrote:

> This is a genuine topic I have wanted to pursue.  Apologies if it
> has already been discussed, just refer me to the year and I'll look
> for the thread.
>
> Several years ago, I heard that "the only animal that was not
> invited to the Buddha's Parinirvana was the cat."  This statement
> was accompanied by all the usual stereotypes about cats: they're
> mean, treacherous, etc., which is why they were excluded from the
> guest list.  Where in the world did that statement come from?  And
> who wrote out the invitations?

In Tantric Buddhism there is the Jnana Dakini Simhamukha the lioness
dakini:

(...) she is a wrathful manifestation of Guhyajnana Dakini, who,
according to the Nyingmapa tradition, was the principal Dakini
teacher of Padmasambhava in the country of Uddiyana. Therefore,
although Simhamukha is a Dakini in her aspect, she functions as a
Yidam or meditation deity and her special functions are averting and
repulsing (bzlog-pa) psychic attacks that may assault the
practitioner and the subduing of negative female energy as
personified by the Matrikas or Mamos. These latter are wild
uncontrolled female spirits inhabiting the wilderness, both the
mountains and the forests, beyond the confines of patriarchal
civilization. These female spirits are generally hostile to the male
gender. Simhamukha appears in a form wrathful, feminine, and demonic;
indeed, her form is said to be actually that of a Matrikia or Mamo,
not because her nature is evil or demonic, but because her wrathful
aspect (khro gzugs) skillfully overcomes and subdues those violent
negative energies. Simhamukha is a Jnana Dakini or wisdom goddess.
According to Jigmed Lingpa (1726-1798), the famous Nyingmapa master
and discoverer of hidden treasure texts or Termas, Simhamukha
represents a Nirmanakaya manifestation, appearing in time and
history, whereas her Sambhogakaya aspect is Vajravarahi and her
Dharmakaya aspect is Samantabhadri, the Primordial Wisdom herself.

Very often the Dakinis and the Matrikas were the old pre-Buddhist
pagan goddesses of the earth and sky, although generally the Matrikas
always tend to be more local in their nature. Dakinis may appear in
many different female forms, young and old, some with animal heads.
In Hindu tradition, the goddess Durga is called the Queen of the
Dakinis and Matrikas or witches. In many ways, Simhamukha represents
a Buddhist version of Durga, but instead of riding on a lion and
brandishing her weapons with eighteen arms, Simhamukha has the head
of a lion. Among the eight Tantra sections (sgrub-pa bka’ brgyad)
transmitted to Tibet in the 8th century by Padmasambhava, there is
the section called Ma-mo rbad gtong, “the cursing and spell casting
associated with the witch goddesses,” wherein Simhamukha, as the
chief divine figure, very much assumes the role of the Hindu goddess
Durga in subduing demons and evil spirits and protecting
practitioners from negative provocations of energy coming from the
Mamos. Like other nature spirits, the Mamos are disturbed by
mankind’s destruction of the natural environment and therefore
inflict plagues, new diseases, earthquakes, madness, wars, and other
calamities upon human civilization.

The Magical Function of Averting Psychic Attacks
As we have said, the principal magical function of Simhamukha is the
averting or repulsing (bzlog-pa) of negative energy and sending it
back to its source, whether that source is a black magician or an
evil spirit (gdon). Such a provocation of negative energy is called a
malediction (byad-ma, byad-kha), and this is illustrated in the story
of Bari Lotsawa (see below). Most often the Goddess is invoked to
avert psychic attack. As indicated previously with the Dakini
Kurukulla, Tantric Buddhism sees this working with energy in concrete
ways in terms of the four magics or magical activities. Although
Simhamukha can work with any of the four, she principally relates to
the fourth function or fierce magical actions (drag-po’i ‘phrin-las).
Therefore, the dark azure blue-colored Vajra Simhamukha is placed in
the center of the mandala. Spiritually, she represents the
transformation of anger or wrath into enlightened awareness, and
psychically or magically, she accomplishes the subduing and
vanquishing provocations of negative energy (gdon) personified as
demons and evil spirits. She is surrounded by her retinue of four
Dakinis who resemble herself, except for their body-color and certain
attributes: in the east there is the white Buddha Simhamukha who has
the magical function of pacifying circumstances and healing, in the
south is the yellow Ratna Simhamukha who has the magical function of
increasing wealth and prosperity, in the west is the red Padma
Simhamukha who has the magical function of enchanting and bringing
others under her power, and in the north is the dark green Karma
Simhamukha who has the magical function of vanquishing and destroying
negative forces. Each of these aspects of Simhamukha have their own
mantras and rituals. If the practicioner is working which a specific
function, say for example, becoming successful at business or winning
at the horse races, he would put Ratna Simhamukha in the center of
the mandala, doing the visualization while reciting her action
mantra. But in thangkas, Vajra Simhamukha is usually represented as a
single figure without the accompanying retinue. (...)

from:

http://vajranatha.com/teaching/Simhamukha.htm