[Buddha-l] Dhammakaya Solution

Bankei bankei at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 02:16:16 MST 2011

On 10 February 2011 14:14, JKirkpatrick <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:

> Here's a small pindapada incident I saw when I was visiting Lao,
> in Luang Prabang.
> People (the tourists) turn out early morning to watch the
> samaneras going for alms, led by a senior monk, while Laotians
> line the street with their alms trays and wait for the lines to
> pass.
> There was one very poor, very thin woman with a small toddler
> squatting on the sidewalk (pavement), holding (not holding it
> out, just holding it in front of her chest) a white plastic
> grocery store bag--technically she was not supposed be begging
> during alms round. But I saw some of the young samaneras drop a
> little food into her bag as they passed by --a no no for them but
> they did it anyway--IMO, the "greater compassion."  (But then I
> am not a pakka Buddhist.) The alms lines from the different
> monasteries walked fast.  It seemed to me that most of the alms
> food was sticky rice, but there were also fruits & packaged snack
> things put into the alms bowls. The rice was offered contained in
> beautiful folded-leaf, columnar-shaped packets, with little
> attached lids.
>
> JK

Hi Joanna

A bit of reverse bindabart there. nice story.

When i was a monk in Thailand we used to collect about 20 times as much food
as we could eat.The food was eaten by the monks first and then anyone could
come to the temple and eat anything left over. Not many people did and large
amounts of food, especially rice, was wasted every day - some given to
temple dogs and the rest thrown away.

Bankei