[Buddha-l] Buddha's Meditation

S. A. Feite sfeite at roadrunner.com
Wed Jul 6 05:37:51 MDT 2011

On Jul 6, 2011, at 12:58 AM, Ngawang Dorje wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Being an Assistant Professor of Maharishi Vedic Science, I find it
> strange that Evan published an article in a Journal without giving
> footnotes or references. For example, I am looking for the
> reference of this passage attributed to Majjhima Nikaya:

There's been a large push by the TM Org over the last several years,
to go into areas where their English-speaking critics words aren't
easily found or heard, and to proselytize for their brand of
meditation. Buddhist countries that have received particular
attention are Nepal, Cambodia, Thailand and Mongolia. Using
unattributed sources certainly helps promotion in under-educated
areas. It would all seem very convincing.

Given that a recent TM scientific study last week was pulled
literally minutes before publication when the authors were found to
be massaging the data in their favor certainly doesn't bode well for
the TM "researchers" who DO use footnotes. All the footnotes in the
world probably will not hide that a Hindu form of basic manasika-japa
is not Buddhist meditation by any means.

But you apparently can fool a lot of people, a lot of the time --for
fun and profit.

Steve