[Buddha-l] Buddha's Meditation

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jul 6 09:53:16 MDT 2011

On Jul 6, 2011, at 12:58 AM, Ngawang Dorje wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Being an Assistant Professor of Maharishi Vedic Science, I find
it
> strange that Evan published an article in a Journal without
giving
> footnotes or references. For example, I am looking for the
reference
> of this passage attributed to Majjhima Nikaya:

There's been a large push by the TM Org over the last several
years, to go into areas where their English-speaking critics
words aren't easily found or heard, and to proselytize for their
brand of meditation. Buddhist countries that have received
particular attention are Nepal, Cambodia, Thailand and Mongolia.
Using unattributed sources certainly helps promotion in
under-educated areas. It would all seem very convincing.

Given that a recent TM scientific study last week was pulled
literally minutes before publication when the authors were found
to be massaging the data in their favor certainly doesn't bode
well for the TM "researchers" who DO use footnotes. All the
footnotes in the world probably will not hide that a Hindu form
of basic manasika-japa is not Buddhist meditation by any means.

But you apparently can fool a lot of people, a lot of the time
--for fun and profit.

Steve