[Buddha-l] Buddhas Meditation

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Jul 10 08:27:57 MDT 2011

On Jul 10, 2011, at 8:04, "Dan Lusthaus" <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> wrote:

> There is a disease currently circulating among Analytic philosophers which
> has infected those purporting to do Buddhist philosophy with an Analytic
> manner, called "pin the label on the thinker or idea." It has replaced
> thinking, evaluating, working through, or what used to be called
> philosophizing.

Is "Analytic philosophers purporting to do Buddhist philosophy" a label? Whether it is or not, I don't find much  that resembles thinking or philosophizing in this characterization. in what follows this opening I found phrases that suggest an assumption of malice on my part. The assumption is false and does nothing to further an intelligent discussion.

For those who are interested in how a virtue-ethics approach to mental health (kusalacitta) supports a life of actively caring for the well-being of others, I'll supply some links later today.

Richard