[Buddha-l] Buddhist ethics [was: Buddhas Meditation]

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Jul 10 09:22:37 MDT 2011

On Jul 10, 2011, at 08:27 , Richard Hayes wrote:

> For those who are interested in how a virtue-ethics approach to mental health (kusalacitta) supports a life of actively caring for the well-being of others, I'll supply some links later today.

This is an essay (in the true sense of the word meaning "attempt") I wrote an incalculable aeon ago.

Classical Buddhist model of a healthy mind. In Psychology and Buddhism: From Individual to Global Community. Edited by Kathleen H. Dockett, G. Rita Dudley-Grant and C. Peter Bankart. New York: Kluwer, 2003. http://www.unm.edu/~rhayes/healthy.pdf

I'm currently working on the syllabus to an upper-level undergraduate course on Buddhist ethics in India and would welcome feedback and suggestions. Later I'll send a bit on what I've been thinking of including, both from the works of Indian philosophers and from modern philosophers of various persuasions who have tried to incorporate discussions of classical Buddhist philosophy into their work. As usual, there is so much material on this topic that it is difficult to choose which approaches and specific topics to cover.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM