[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

David Living aryacitta at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 12 14:18:04 MDT 2011

> > "Better to eat your pork chops mindfully than your quorn segments
> > un-mindfully"; the point being that mindfulness is more important than an
> > unthinking attachment to rules and regulations.
> > Aryacitta/Dave Living
>
> Better for whom? The pig? The narcissist for whom pigs and cows are just
> fodder for self-image and feelings of self-improvement or lesser-self?
>
> Dan

Good point Dan. I think this quote is more for beginners than advanced practitioners like yourself. Its not ideal Buddhism by any stretch of the imagination but some consolation for those of us who find it hard to renounce the pleasurable habit of eating meat. You might say "skilful means"????

For those of more advanced disposition being mindful of the terrible pain a pig has to go through in order to end up on our plate would have a strong queasy influence on their decision not to eat it. Just the other day while eating a boiled egg that cheeped like a bird when I cut open the shell - it was the hot air pent up inside it escaping that caused the noise - gave me "food for thought" about not buying or eating eggs any more.

Aryacitta/Dave Living