[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 12 14:58:54 MDT 2011

David,

Great last name, by the way!

>Just the other day while eating a boiled egg that cheeped like a bird when
>I cut open the shell - it was the hot air pent up inside it escaping that
>caused the noise - gave me "food for thought" about not buying or eating
>eggs any more.
> Aryacitta/Dave Living

There may be reasons for avoiding eggs, but imagining that they are chicken
embryos that otherwise would have hatched is unfortunately not the most
accurate one. Unless one is following a macrobiotic or similar diet and
especially seeking out fertilized eggs, the eggs one commonly finds in the
supermarket, grocery store, or egg farm are not fertilized, and so will
never become a chicken. It is -- if you don't mind an unpleasant image --
actually chicken menses, not a fertilized embryo.

The kind of epiphany/visualization you describe can be a very effective way
to change one's behavior. In my own case, I used to be a major carnivore --
avoided veggies, cheese, fish, just ate meat. Loved steak. One day I sat
down to eat a juicy steak and, instead of tasting like steak, it tasted like
cow. I didn't want to eat a cow, or even bite one -- I like cows. I've been
a vegetarian every since. That was in April 1970.

The industrial production of eggs should give one pause, since many birds do
give up their comfort and lives for that, often under appalling
circumstances. One can find providers of eggs that treat their chickens more
humanely, but that will probably not be your local supermarket.

Dan