[Buddha-l] Weeks and westerners

Alex Wilding alex at chagchen.org
Tue Jul 19 00:12:27 MDT 2011

Tibet has a seven-day week whose names are clearly parallel to the western
week, but it had little importance beside the dominant lunar calendar. I
have been told, but could be wrong, that this week has existed for quite
long, and has not just been imported for the convenience of living in the
"modern world".
Several lunar days are important - full and new, of course, but also tenth
and twenty-fifth.
On ethnicity, is Australia part of the Western world? Are we talking
culturally western? (I hope so, otherwise most of Europe will be eastern,
which grates on my sensibilities.) If so, I'd guess the majority of
Buddhists there are yellowish.

AW