[Buddha-l] MARYSVILLE: American Buddhism facing generational shift

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 19 06:55:56 MDT 2011

Op 19-07-11 07:36, Richard Hayes schreef:
> While they are doing the hard work, I'll mention a quaint habit that
> Quakers have (aside from the quaint habit of butchering English
> grammar by saying things like "What does thee want?") Quakers hated
> the idea of days named after pagan gods and months named after Roman
> emperors and Latin numbers, so they refused to use those names and
> referred to the days of the week as First Day, Second Day and so on,
> and referred to the months as First Month (which originally meant
> March but eventually became January, to everyone's great inconvenience).
> Written this Second Day, the eighteenth of Seventh Month (this being the third First Day of Seventh Month by latter day reckoning or the Fifth Month by the old reckoning),
> Friend Richard
Friend Richard, it shall give thee great enjoyment to learn that all
Chinese people have adopted this peculiar method of calculating days,
beit that they have chosen to use the word  'week' in stead of 'day',
They must have been instructed by a friend.
So I'm writing this on the first of the week, in the seventh month.
And it giveth me great pleasure to read that all those young friends are
fooling around with Buddhism. The more tastes the more consumption.

Friend Erik