[Buddha-l] Whatever happened to buddha-l?

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Jun 9 13:08:03 MDT 2011

Cute--they like to get on tables and kitchen shelves looking for
crumbs, leaving their
'crumbs' for us, as well.

These appealing sayings all suggest where Disney got some of his
animation ideas. But I never saw any of his cartoons having a
shaved-head mouse in monk garb. A missed opportunity, methinks.

Joanna
------------------
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 9:22 AM

Hi Erik,

in Germany we have the saying:

When the cat is away, the mice dance at the table...

Ralf

>Mice may differ in cultural habits. In Holland they say: when
the cat's
away, the mice have a party.
I wonder what Buddhist mice might do, have a sesshin perhaps?

erik

Op 09-06-11 16:08, JKirkpatrick schreef:
> A cat simile works just as well, in reverse:
>
> When the cat's away, the mice don't play.
>
> Joanna
>
> ____________________
>
> Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 1:41 AM
>

> Homo homini lupus, man a wolf to man. A dog is a civilised
wolf.
> The cynics apparently ascribed some civilisation to man when
they took
> the dog as the symbol of man living according to his own
nature. We
> have to remember of course that dogs at the time where not
always as
> nice as they are nowadays. They stole, barked and sometimes
attacked
> people.
> Buddha-l is a typical example of modern dog nature: one member
of the
> pack howls and the others answer. This time the doggies have
just been
> playing some time with there own private bosses and forgot
about the
> pack, until one is left alone on the balcony or hears a high
pitched
> sound from the radio.
> The thing I like about dogs is that they like to play and are
very
> serious about it, almost like Tibetan monks deal with their
pujas. And
> compassion is very much part of a dog's way of life:
> licking a stranger's hands just for fun is pretty
compassionate.
> Even a dog's tooth can become a Buddhist relic according to a
famous
> story. It looks like 'dog' is just a Buddhist word for god.
Let's get