[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Wed Sep 21 10:21:13 MDT 2011

Federico Andino:
I guess that he means that there´s a cultural, ethical, social and religious
dimension to buddhism, which in his eyes supersedes the practice of
buddhism. But if that were the only dimensions that buddhism had, it would
be a kind of tribal religion.
Poor Buddhaghuya and his Yogavatara, also...and the yogaratnamala, and the
vimalaprabha, etc...they just missed the point.

For myself, I celebrate that buddhism can be understood as "just a practice"
since that way it can reach people who´d be resistant otherwise.

There's a lot of pragmatic reality in this view.
I've noticed when talking with ordinary Americans in the US region where I
live that if the word 'Buddhist' surfaces, the respondent's eyes glaze over.
But if one mentions meditation as a practice along with the ever-acceptable
yoga, it's OK. There must be twenty different yoga studios/classes in this
provincial town of Boise, ID--including ones that meet at the two YMCAs.

Joanna