[Buddha-l] Hardships & Downfall of B. in I.

Sherab mahasukha at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 12 13:00:59 MST 2012

Hi Folks,

	Always happy to learn a new word - Antinomian. I was wondering how Buddhists of India could be considered to be antinomian. Isn't it a Christian quirk? I thought that Indian Buddhist were the best of the best at living according to a societal moral code. Now it does occur to me that perhaps the Pureland Schools that developed later in Japan might have a possibility of antinomian thinking and perhaps did in fact, sort of a salvation through faith alone that could lead to antinomianism. There are also examples from the Mahasiddha tradition, you know that crazy wisdom thing. Virupa is said to mean "I am wicked" a name adopted by a famous siddha after leaving the monastic tradition and frequenting bars and if memory serves - courtesans. This however would seem to be based on dwelling in a state of unshakeable Mahamudra, where his seemingly anti-societal or bawdy moral behaviour was unable to shake the foundation of his realisation.

	Is there some misunderstanding on my part of the word antinomian?

	Thoughts?

Sherab