[Buddha-l] Buddhism for cats - not cool for cats

David Living aryacitta at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:45:17 MST 2012

> Several years ago, I heard that "the only animal that was not
> invited to the Buddha's Parinirvana was the cat."  This statement
> was accompanied by all the usual stereotypes about cats: they're
> mean, treacherous, etc., which is why they were excluded from the
> guest list.  Where in the world did that statement come from?  And
> who wrote out the invitations?

Looks like they forgot about Buddhism as soon as the Buddha hit Parinirvana.
Since when was it cool to exclude cats? Cats are a form of life - in a way -
they deserve some respect. If they wanted to turn up why should they be
excluded? If monks weren't supposed to get angry when bandits cut their
arms and legs off or when someone says "Buddhism is crap" why should
they get angry just because cats didn't seem to give a toss that the Buddha
was shuffling off his mortal coil?

Aryacitta/Dave Living
Southend - the latest university town in UK! Not thay I have anything to do
with it.

Just for the record I took in and looked after a stray cat that slept outside
my flat for a while. He now runs the place.