[Buddha-l] more tibetan self-immolations

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Sat Jan 7 21:56:36 MST 2012

Dorje,

Speaking of hypothetical alternatives...........Isn't there also a political
problem for Tibetans living near China--in India as it happens? Doesn't
India forbid Tibetans living in asylum in India from organizing as public
groups in order to make public demonstrations.  (In fact, how about Indian
citizens? How much leeway to _they- have to do the same?)  This political
taboo would add immensely to their frustration, and probably has already led
to many of the lay people just giving up. Or, they might hope for social
change in China.

Is it a fact that the majority of Tibetans in exile are still living in
India? Those outside India have scattered to countries far away from
Tibet--US, EU, Scandinavia, Australia, where else? There's no way that they
could organize a forceful movement against their oppressors.

Joanna

What other alternative(s) would you suggest? It seems that these methods
have failed, (1) the Dalai Lama's non-violence, (2) Gandhi-styled fast, (3)
Thic Quang Duc-styled self-immolation. These methods brought forth more
criticism and condemnation than any breakthrough or success.

A Buddhist friend suggest that Tibetans should just give in / give up. Well,
it is also not healthy to suggest that we give in, whenever a person is
being bullied, harrassed, victimized or aggressed.