[Buddha-l] more tibetan self-immolations

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 09:14:28 MST 2012

> I must agree, that the only non-violence way is to wait.

I'm not in support of violence, especially since Tibet doesn't stand a
chance against China, but I also think the Chinese have an advantage in the
non-violent resistance from the Tibetans, and 'to wait' only means 'wait
until Tibetan culture is assimilated into Chinese culture'. The Chinese
will also applaud self-immolation, because as such, the problem solves
itself. I also think non-violence is not a passe-partout strategy for any
social struggle. It might have worked in India, but if the Jews and others
in WWII would have been non-violent, the Endlösung would have been much
more drastic and with less managerial problems for the Germans. Maybe good
ol' upaya-like terrorism can shake the Chinese. There might not be a ground
for that in the texts, but it will surely draw attention to the fact that
the Tibetans won't just give up their culture.

Stefan