[Buddha-l] query about a term in Japanese zen, translated as "soul" in one text.

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 21:34:31 MST 2012

Not directly related to the question  What is the Japanese term for
"soul" but in his introduction to Gyurme Dorje's translation of "The
Tibetan Book of the Dead" the Dalai Lama first says that Buddhist
philosophy does not accept the existence of an independent autonomous
entity, known as the 'self', essence or 'soul' of a person - but he
then goes on to speak of a "subtle body" and "subtle mind", and a
"subtle person or self which is designated in dependence on the subtle
body and subtle mind".

Now as soon as you have  a notion of a "subtle person or self" which
survives physical death - I can see someone translating that as "soul"