[Buddha-l] query about a term in Japanese zen, translated as "soul" in one text.

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Mon Jan 16 07:45:31 MST 2012

Hi Jamie,
Thanks a lot for getting in.  Please say more about viññāṇa. I've sure missed out on that one.
Joanna

Gee-- since I know nothing of Tibetan or early Buddhism, I might as well jump in here. Isn't the Pali version of what transmigrates the consciousness aggregate, viññāṇa*?* Which is as impermanent in the process as it is in the earlier and later embodied states?

OTOH, the Tibetans and most other Buddhist traditions certainly do develop with the various "subtles" (I like that term). But even those are in the earlier traditions (cittaprakrti).

And though I even know less about Greek philosophy, I do believe that what we come to know as "soul" was influenced by Plato's ideas of "idea" or real forms that exist behind the ever-changing world and are permanent. And that is the key difference between annata and any kind of soul-- is it permanent, which, in the Buddhist view, entails independence as well.
Impermanent and dependent is what the Buddhists like.

The Japanese are another case. Certainly the "spirits" (tamashii 魂, reikon
霊魂, etc.) are neither permanent nor independent. Still, except in some sophisticated thinkers, it is quite clear that in contemporary Japan there is no functional or operational notion of rebirth-- you die, and your spirit hangs out in the spirit world. Hmmmm-- I wonder if the Japanese ever really believed in rebirth the way, say, the Tibetans do?

Jamie Hubbard