[Buddha-l] Students as potential spooks?

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at smith.edu
Sun Jan 22 20:15:27 MST 2012

On 1/22/2012 12:21 PM, Richard Hayes wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2012, at 8:18 AM, sjziobro at cs.com wrote:
> Richard, this sort of recruitment has been going on for over 50 years.  I'm surprised you've only now become acquainted with the effort.
> I knew the CIA was recruiting people in the 1960s when I was an undergraduate, so it's not that this is news to me. But the fact remains that I find it disgusting and disheartening, just as I find it disgusting that the only way that many students in a poor state can afford an education is to sell their bodies and minds to the military.
>
> Richard Hayes
How many of us went through grad school on NDFL Title VI fellowships (I
believe the program is now a State Dept. program), and later Fulbrights.
Interestingly, I just Googled "NDFL Title VI" and, instead of a
Wikipedia article, I got page after page of PDF faculty resumes. . .
and, of course, "NDFL Title VI" would be "National *Defense* Foreign
Language" scholarships. And I believe that it was admin'ed under the
Defense Department--language study was a strategic interest (obviously,
if you care about those things). I don't know any of my crew
(UWisconsin-Madison) that went on to NSA or whatever. On another front,
my wife's career was fueled by Japan Foundation and Japanese pride and
"internationalism" sentiments, the LDP and economics.

Is anybody really surprised that we are (take your pick): implicated,
part of Indra's net, responsible, dependent on those "willing to do
unspeakable things so that others can sleep peacably at night" (a slogan
on a buddies Barnes Air Force Reserve T-shirt), two degrees of
separation from the CIA and others? Hello?

OTOH, everybody I know that received NFDL money went on to teach,
research, and be nice people.

Jamie Hubbard
Smith College
(With proper signature including job info and not top-posted.)