[Buddha-l] China plans theme park ousdie Lhasa--------

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jul 18 20:12:26 MDT 2012

Eric: "... but who would build a replica near the original? Perhaps they are
planning to destroy all of Lhasa?"

You are probably right on the mark, Eric.  I suspect this is their aim--to
convert things Tibetan to Chinese versions of same.

(Can we compare what happened in US history? Hyphenated cultures? Such as
African-American, Polish-American, etc etc. Was it all that benign?)

They doubtless are aiming to forge a Tibeto-Chinese culture. (Attention to
the ancient sharings of cultural features between Tibet and China, and vice
versa, would not be allowed-- unless such could be warped into Chinese
nationalistic values, as I recently read they did with a Tibetan folklore
tale converted to a Chinese movie.)

I read an article in the latest issue of _Education about Asia_ (a journal),
about Mongolian arts. Halfway through, I noticed it barely said anything
about Mongolia's long Buddhist historical heritage. By 3/4ths of the way to
the end, I realized that this article had been written slanted by a Chinese
author toward the supremacy of Chinese views on Mongolia. Nothing but a
bunch of clichés.

Joanna

Erik Hoogcarspel
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:44 PM

Perhaps also stupid. I mean there are lots of Chinese middle class people
who now have the money to go somewhere and they do not mind to stand in line
for hours and visit the most crappy theme parks. But I wonder if you can go
on for ever, if there will not come a time that even the most insensitive
Chinese grow tired of theme parks or that they discover that it is more
convenient to build one near Beijing.
They build replica of European towns but who would build a replica near the
original? Perhaps they are planning to destroy all of Lhasa?

erik

Op 18-07-12 20:39, Jo schreef:
> Or crude.

> Dan Lusthaus
> Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:27 PM
>
> No one ever said that the Chinese were not shrewd.

Lhasa.