[Buddha-l] Islam and forced conversion (Was Buddhists Taking a Stand Against Islamophobia)

jo 05jkirk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 21:15:20 MDT 2012

" By the way many scholars believe the Saudi state is the kind of Muslim state specifically forbidden by Islamic law which is one reason the Saudis are so sensitive to challenges from the religious establishment, some would say eager to buy them off with a holier than thou attitude."

Hi Gerald,

I think many scholars would consider it more realistic to say, "eager to buy them off with tons of monetary contributions coming with Wahhabi strings attached".

Cheers,
Joanna

On Behalf Of Gerald McLoughlin
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:21 PM

I think the  controversy about the Kashgari deportation to a country that does not have an extradition treaty with Malaysia, apparently illegal, actually forbidden by a Malaysian court, and fought by Malaysian lawyers (all the players I understand were Muslims) underlines the fact that such actions are not uncontested "throughout the Muslim world." Beyond the civil law issue of the deportation the apostasy charge itself has generated further controversy among religious scholars in various countries. By the way many scholars believe the Saudi state is the kind of Muslim state specifically forbidden by Islamic law which is one reason the Saudis are so sensitive to challenges from the religious establishment, some would say eager to buy them off with a holier than thou attitude.

Your point about Lina Joy is very similar to the point raised by the dissenting judge, who protested the ruling that she had not followed the correct procedures. He said that the decision was inherently discriminatory.  Again, this would indicate the contested and controversial nature of the decision.

As I understand most religious scholars hold to the view that one becomes a Muslim by making the declaration of belief so the claim that one inherits the status is also controversial and contested. On a side note many  people where I live believe that they inherited their Protestant Christian status, normally through their father, and to change religions is a betrayal. This view would not be uncontested.

Regards,

Gerald