[Buddha-l] Mes Aynak

GM caodemarte at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 11:21:51 MDT 2013

I believe it has been explored, at least to a some degree. If found, I suspect a new site would likely be sold separately or added to the existing concession for a hefty price, not used to entirely replace the existing Chinese concession.

Some years ago a  German geological survey showed that Afghanistan was rich in untapped mineral deposits. They remain untapped due to security concerns. The Mes Aynak site is rich and in a relatively secure site (meaning that the odds of being able to ship out the copper are better than in most places). It is a risky enough business climate for that and other reasons. Only a Chinese company with a such a strong domestic commodity market was interested. A deteriorating security situation may preserve the site if it makes mining there unprofitable. On a more hopeful note, a new government might well decide that the concession is invalid due to corrupt practices or demand new payments, again making the mine unprofitable enough for the Chinese to abandon.