[Buddha-l] Bewildering temple in Bangkok

Richard Hayes richard.hayes.unm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:20:21 MST 2013

On Feb 27, 2013, at 08:10 , Jo <ugg-5 at spro.net> wrote:

> However, if they want to attract folks from India, a Brahma statue might not appeal, in part because last I heard/read, there is only one Brahma temple in the whole of India. He's become sort of otiose so far as puja goes.

I am guessing the monk may have been giving me an ad hoc explanation. For exactly the reason Joanna Kirkpatrick has stated, Brahmā is not likely to draw a lot of Indians. But that may not be a problem, since there are very few non-Muslim Indians in Albuquerque to attract anyway, except for the Comanche, Apache, Diné, Tanoan and Keresian peoples, many of whom would rather not be called Indians. That Genoese adventurer Cristóbal Colón certainly did confuse things in the Americas. Maybe the statue in the Thai temple is actually of Christopher Columbus rather than Brahmā.

Richard