[Buddha-l] Another One Bites the Dust

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 00:35:17 MST 2013

Sure stories of rivalry, jealousy and sheer malignancy account for tons
of paper (or palm leaves) and ink. I would make a distinction for sexual
scandals, where things aren't that clear cut, and where, as the Buddha
says, /"Sister, only you and I know whether you are speaking the truth
or not,"/. There will always remain a doubt.And if the slightest doubt
remains, will the catharsis take place ? That is why in Cincamanavika's
story Sakka and the opening of the gates of Hell have to come to the
rescue of the Buddha.In the Vinaya, Buddhists have tried to avoid
ambiguous situation as much as possible, because Sakka has a very busy
schedule.

But this story, invented by a clever lawyer, is probably based on real
facts. A woman or women could have been spotted, going to a monastery in
the evenings, and coming out of it in the mornings. Not necessarily to
see the Buddha, but he would have been addressed because he was the
manager. This is very likely to have happened, even in Buddhist
monasteries. If they became pregnant, the bravest ones could have turned
to the manager of the monastery for financial help. In order to dissuade
women from doing so,this story could have been invented. If women
weren't capable of proving beyond doubt that they had intercourse with a
monk, then the truth would only be known by the woman and the monk.
Everyone else could only go by their sympathy for the woman's case or by
their faith in the monks' integrity. A women who didn't have enough
proof would be considered a liar. And not only that, she could only have
lied because she wanted to destroy the reputation of a monk and of the
sangha, and thereby of the Buddha.A very evil person indeed.This story
is a warning to any woman who would consider accusing a monk of having
slept with her.She'd better have excellent proof or witnesses, or else
she'd better shut up.

That's how I read the story.

/"Bhikkhu;, one who is not afraid to tell lies, and who does not care
what happens in the future existence, will not hesitate to do any evil."/