[Buddha-l] Another One Bites the Dust

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 01:28:35 MST 2013

Hi James,

There seem to be different versions (in battle, miraculous death). In
Oedipus at Colones he indeed dies that way. For collective violence
(many recognizable features in our story), see René Girard, La violence
et le sacré (especially the chapter on Oedipus and the following one, I
only have the French version). It looks like there was a crisis in
Cincamanavika's town, with a tension between groups of ascetics of
different faiths, followed by collective violence where Cincamanavika
became the emissary victim. Collective violence with one victim taking
it all is a real give away.
Joy