[Buddha-l] Burmese Buddhist anti-Muslim nationalism: 969?

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 31 09:33:52 MDT 2013

Jamie,

I think the numbers are derived from the standard Pali (and Sanskrit)
chants in praise of the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha. So for the first: iti
pi so bhagavā arahaṃ sammāsambuddho he is the Bhagava because he is 1.
an arahat, 2. a perfectly awakened one, 3. perfect in knowledge and
conduct and so on. Depending how you parse the list there are nine or
ten Buddhaguṇa. Similarly the other numbers are derived from svākkhāto
Bhagavatā dhammo etc. and supaṭipanno Bhagavato sāvakasaṃgho etc.

Pretty standard.

Lance Cousins