[Buddha-l] Nirvana Sutra Chapter 19

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Mon May 13 00:26:05 MDT 2013

Dan Lusthaus writes:
> Yes, Chris. There are already Pali suttas in which Buddha declares of
> monks who had committed suicide that they were on to good destinies.
> Modern sensibilities aside, asian cultures have not been squeamish
> about suicide. In China, Korea and Japan, it is built into the moral
> codes of the country (esp. in Japan) -- Buddhism was a never a
> counteragent to those cultural tendencies. On the contrary...
I think this is quite wrong. About East Asia I cannot speak, but you may
be reading East Asian attitudes into Indian culture. There are a few
exceptional cases where someone reaches nirvāṇa after taking their own
life, but suicide is generally seen as a form of taking life, bound to
lead to a bad rebirth.

Lance