[Buddha-l] Nirvana Sutra Chapter 19

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Mon May 13 03:54:29 MDT 2013

Hi James,

         "How does one go about stealing the teachings of the Buddha?
Especially since Brahma encouraged him to teach, and it seems copyright
hadn't been invented yet?"

“The first person who, having enclosed a plot of land, took it into his
head to say this is mine and found people simple enough to believe him
was the true founder of civil society. What crimes, wars, murders, what
miseries and horrors would the human race have been spared, had some one
pulled up the stakes or filled in the ditch and cried out to his fellow
men: "Do not listen to this imposter. You are lost if you forget that
the fruits of the earth belong to all and the earth to no one!”―
Jean-Jacques Rousseau, The Social Contract and The Discourses

For modern day versions of Rousseau's story we have the failed attempt
(of Microsoft I believe) to buy the electronic rights of the artworks of
every museum, and the Google project to scan all the works in libraries.
*http://tinyurl.com/aqwmh6q*
I believe there also was a discussion on this list where it was pointed
out (by Chris Fynn?) that some yoga asanas had been copyrighted.

Joy
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57565923-93/documentary-throws-the-book-at-google-scanning-project/>/
/