[Buddha-l] Nalanda's library destruction

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Tue May 14 04:34:05 MDT 2013

<<I have never seen anyone dispute the traditional story (given by Warder
et al) that the Turkish general Bhaktiar was responsible for the
destruction of the library.>>

>From Verardi (I hope the diacritical marks are not lost), p. 363:

<<The *dPag bsam ljon bzang *(whose first part deals with the rise, progress,
and downfall of Buddhism in India) reports that the destruction of the
Ratnodadhi Library at Nālānda was also a deliberate action of the *tīrthika-s.
*The Ratnodadhi was a nine-storeyed building where the *Prajñāpāramitā
Sūtra-s *and the Tantric works were pre­served. The damages inflicted by
the Turuṣka raids on the temples and *caitya-s *of the monastic town had
been repaired by Muditabhadra, and a new temple was erected by Kukuṭa
Siddha, minister of 'the king of Magadha'. During a sermon delivered there,
two young novices threw in disdain washing water on two indigent *tīrthika**
*mendicants who had appeared in the place. The latter spent twelve years
propitiating the sun, and eventually performed a *yaj**ñ**a, *after which
they threw live embers and ashes from the Sacrificial pit into the monastic
buildings. This produced a great conflagration that consumed the Ratnodadhi.
179 That two *tīrthika**-s *alone could cause a devastating fire is not, in
itself, incredible (arson is the easiest of crimes), but it is unlikely
that they spent twelve years preparing a solitary attack. We must set the
story in the right perspective, which is better done in the light of the
archaeological evidence.180>>

Artur