[Buddha-l] Nalanda photos

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue May 14 21:19:39 MDT 2013

> The burning of the library is actually never mentioned in
> Tabaqat-I-Nasiri. Perhaps, I missed it?
> Rahula

I don't have the book at hand at the moment. Citing Mukherjee, A. K.
_Librarianship: Its Philosophy and History_. Delhi: Asia Publishing House,
1966 as his source, R.K. Bhatt in his "Academic Libraries in India: A
Historical Study" states:
http://crl.du.ac.in/ical09/papers/index_files/ical-10_180_494_2_RV.pdf

"Regarding the library of the university, the Tabaqat-i-Nasiri informs us
that there were great number of books on the religion of Hindus (Buddhists)
there; and when all these books came under the observation of the
Mussalamans, they summoned, a number of Hindus that they might give them
information regarding the import of these books; but the whole of the Hindu
community was killed in the war . Muslim vandalism caused the disappearance
of the excellent collection at Vikramashila."

I can't check the accuracy of his paraphrase until examining the book.

Dan