[Buddha-l] Nalanda's library destruction

Richard Hayes richard.hayes.unm at gmail.com
Thu May 16 19:15:20 MDT 2013

On May 16, 2013, at 16:51, James A Stroble <stroble at hawaii.edu> quoted Joanna Kirkpatrick, who had written.

> Why not visit the list archive? We've been over this topic before.

Alas, the archives are not as easily searched as the used to be—or if they are, I have not discovered the trick. I used to send out instructions on how to search the buddha-l archives, but that was when the archives were stored in Kentucky, then later in Québec. All those archives were destroyed when the list changed locations. The New Mexico archives go back only to March 2005. The only way I know of searching them is to download all of the monthly zip files to my computer and use my computer's search utility to search the directory. That method works well enough, but of course it can't reach everything since 1991, when the list started.

Incidentally, for you history buffs, a casual account of our collective past can be found at http://home.comcast.net/~dayamati/history.html . (I say "casual", because the account completely whitewashes the record and conveniently neglects to mention the role that Muslims might have played in forcing Buddha-l out of Kentucky and Quebec.)

The management