[Buddha-l] nice SKT adage

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu May 23 06:50:05 MDT 2013

Op 23-5-2013 9:02, James A Stroble schreef:
> On Wed, 22 May 2013 22:31:36 -0600
> Richard Hayes<richard.hayes.unm at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On May 22, 2013, at 16:43, "Jo"<ugg-5 at spro.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> yaḥ paśyati sa paśyati
>> He who sees sees. Well, yes, that would be the case.
> Tautology.  Question is, who sees?

In the TV show QI, where Stephen Fry asks all kinds of questions to a
panel of comedians, there is a round called 'General Ignorance' where
you can score extra negative points for an answer that echoes general
misgivings. Richard and James both just hit this jackpot! Well done, Jo!
Of course words are no svabhāva's that always have their own meaning,
independent of their place in a proposition. And besides that words are
homonyms, metaphors and much more. But alas some people still live under
the illusion that logic has anything to do with meaning. It is as if
when a reader would react to this with something like 'Oh I see', and I
would answer 'Yes of course otherwise you wouldn't be able to read an
email'.

Erik