[Buddha-l] buddha-l Digest, Vol 103, Issue 6

Richard Hayes richard.hayes.unm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 08:02:43 MDT 2013

On Sep 15, 2013, at 2:25, "Dan Lusthaus" <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Need it be pointed out that this confuses the idea that there can only be one religion simplicitur, with "one to a customer"? Unclear that you comprehend the difference, since your examples all deal with the former, not the latter. Reminder: my claim was the latter.

Not one of my examples deals with the former. They all deal with problems that arise when fanatics react to individuals practicing a multiplicity of religions, which indicates that it is quite common, and has been forever, for people to practice more than one religion.

It is only the Abrahamic religions that have had people who insist that individuals practice only one religion (one to a customer). And that insistence has clearly been contrary to what individuals were in fact practicing. Outside the Abrahamic religions, one to a customer is not even an issue, and it is quite common for people to practice what Harvey Cox has called cafeteria-style religion.

Richard