[Buddha-l] 'Sons of Brahma, sons of Buddha?'

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Apr 12 11:41:09 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 11:12 -0600, jkirk wrote:

> Now that this term "bhagavat" appears, I'd like to ask how it could be used
> as an epithet of the Buddha, since bhagwaan (from which I assume it's
> derived) usually is glossed as "god" or "deity." Or is this wrong? Are there
> several glosses for bhagavat?

Bhagavant is usually said to be derived from "bhaga" plus the possessive
suffix "vant". "Bhaga" means good fortune, wealth, prosperity, beauty,
glory, happiness and so forth. It can be applied to any human being or
deity who is blessed with, well, blessings. Bhagwan Rajneesh, for
example.

--
Richard Hayes
***