[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Sat Apr 30 15:03:24 MDT 2005

Franz metcalf wrote:

> For reason of Kapleau's break with Yasutani Roshi being possibly due to
> a rejection of fascism and antisemitism, Dan Lusthaus writes,
>
> > Bravo, Philip!
>
> Absolutely. And I'd add that his Kapleau's other reason, the stated
> one--a rejection of Eido Sensei's (later Eido Roshi's) sexual
> harassment of female students--merits another
>
> Bravo, Philip!

Please keep in mind- Yasutani broke with Kapleau- not the other way around.
Kapleau does not criticize Yasutani for anything, let alone fascism and
antisemitism.
Kapleau did not want Yasutani to bring Shimano with him on his visit to
Rochester for the reasons Franz mentions and maybe other reasons as well.
Kapleau deserves a Bravo for this. It is more than came from all the other
roshi, both Japanese and American who sat on panels with Shimano during the
1980's thereby according him a respect he hardly deserved.

That said, again, Kapleau DID NOT break with Yasutani, in fact he was
hoping/expecting to get Dharma transmission from him during that last visit.
My feeling is that Kapleau did not really understand Yasutani, how
conservative he was, his deep belief in place and hierarchy and whatever
else.  Otherwise, I do not think he would have jeopardized his getting the
golden ring. Kapleau was caught by surprise by Yasutani's reaction. Dare I
say Kapleau was deluded about Yasutani, the person he expected to get D.t.
from?

Stuart