[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Apr 30 17:38:47 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 15:17 -0400, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> A fanatical, ultranationalistic, ultramilitaristic, virulently
> antisemitic authoritarian, Yasutani turns out to be something quite
> different from what most folks fantasize Zen masters to be.

Fanatical, ultranationalistic, ultramilitaristic, virulently antisemitic
(and anti-Christian)? Hmmm. That's almost exactly how I have always
fantasized a Zen master to be. (Maybe that's why I tend to avoid them.)
But then I have to confess my fantasies are largely based on my reading
of Mahayana sutras, where I find little light and much fanaticism.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy