[Buddha-l] consciousness

Hal Cooper halc at xprt.net
Tue Jul 5 03:09:18 MDT 2005

Stormy Tetreau >>
I am feeling that I need to get a good intellectual grounding in terms of
what the buddhist traditions talk about in terms of consciousness
integration and the problems that can arise. Does anybody have a suggestion
as to where to begin?

Hal> Consciousness is one of the 5 heaps or Skandhas.  Also the 12 Links of
Causation is worth looking into.   Somtimes there is a likening to milk in
water when many students study together for 108 days before taking monastic
precepts.   IMHO The Internet is about the worst place to look for it;
although, Buddha-L is probably one of the best places to find an inkling.
Meditating with real folks and reciting mantras with real flesh and blood
sentient beings will trump the Internet very easily.

One big limiting factor, or problem that can arise is the Ego.  People who
just talk about their own consciousness and shut off their ears while other
people contribute will not be very successful at consciousness integration.

What is not consciousness integration?  When two ships pass in the night, is
there consciousness integration?  Perhaps the whole concept of a
consciousness needs to be investigated...   Is it real?  What is it made of?
Inside? Outside? etc..