[Buddha-l] Re: Contemporary issues of monastic Buddhism.

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 10 11:12:12 MDT 2005

Gang,

Richard Hayes cites an excellent source. At least for me, Zwilling's
chapter ("Homosexuality as Seen in Indian Buddhist Texts," p. 203-214)
in Cabezón's book was definitely uncomfortable to read. He argues
pretty convincingly that pandaka effectively meant, at the time of the
writing of the canonical texts, an openly homosexual man. Such a one
was forbidden membership in the bhikkhusangha. As a cool Californian,
this annoys me immensely. Zwilling's solution: think of this canonical
view much in the way we think of the canonical views on the ordination
of women: precisely as cultural anachronisms, as baggage, as rafts we
need no longer carry. That other Californian Richard mentions might
have room for such views in her little begging bowl. Somehow my entire
home is too full of stuff to fit them in.

Cheers,

Franz