[Buddha-l] What is enlightenment?

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Wed May 11 09:21:42 MDT 2005

On May 11, 2005, at 5:53 AM, Stanley J. Ziobro II wrote:

>  At least that may qualify as a
> relativist explanation dogmatically articulated within the
> terminological
> context of "delusion" and "enlightenment."

Or, perhaps, one could call it a conclusion derived from a logically
necessary polylemma.

Since neither "delusion" nor "enlightenment" can be experientially
demonstrated to a non-professing observer it is difficult to derive
from induction. So, we wind up taking somebody's word for it. Some
folks are eager to take somebody's word for things, and some folks find
it impossible to take somebody's word for something.

Folks if the first class often call people of the second class
"dogmatic relativists".  So the replace two undemonstrable concepts
with two different undemonstrable concepts. This practice, while
common, and based on plenty of authority (as Milton called them,
"horseloads of aged fathers"), they don't carry the discussion very
far.

I much prefer outright and open-handed (or close-fisted) polemic for
its sheer energy and entertainment value.

Jim Peavler

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755