[Buddha-l] Re: One Buddhist's perspective on Zionism

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon May 23 08:42:37 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 03:30 -0700, Bob Smith wrote:

> As it happens (Sounds like a good name for an early evening radio
> show!),

All things considered, I think you're right. Speaking of As It Happens,
one of the many important things I think about while taking a shower in
the morning is how the son of one of Canada's most intelligent radio and
television interviewers, Barbara Frum, ended up being a speech writer
for George W. Bush. Perhaps it's just that having a good ear for
phrasing runs in the Frum family. David Frum's phrase "axis of evil,"
which he inserted into one of Emperor George's speeches, has become
known all over the world. As Canadian contributions to world literature
goes, I think it has surpassed even Trudeau's "Oh fuddle duddle."

> Three volumes down on the shelf was a well worn (possibly well read)
> copy of LONB!

An acute attack of vanity overcame me a few weeks ago, and I decided to
poke into Abebooks to see how much a well-worn used copy of LONB is
selling for these days. I think there were about three hundred used
copies on sale on the Internet, which is about 150 more copies than were
ever sold new, and the most expensive one was going for $1.65. On the
other hand, my book Dignaga On the Interpretation of Signs was being
offered for as much as $550, which is some $200 more than the publisher
is asking for a new copy. The Dignaga book is a much better book than
LONB, but I'm not sure it is on the order of 400 times better. Economics
has always baffled me.

> There's just no accounting for some backpackers' reading tastes!

Are you suggesting that backpackers actually read books? I thought they
just used them for kindling and toilet paper.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy