[Buddha-l] Re: exegesis vs hermeneutics

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue May 31 16:09:31 MDT 2005

Christian Coseru says: "Besides, it is rather indulgent to
claim that we can read fourth or fifth century Buddhist
texts as they were read by those for whom these texts were
written: fourth and fifth century Buddhists."

It could be said to be indulgent to try to run 100 meters
in zero seconds, but if you think about it, that's what
everyone who runs a race is trying to do. Everyone fails,
of course, but whoever comes closest to the impossible
goal is the winner of the race.

Similarly, it goes without saying that it is impossible to
read a text exactly as it was understood by its author.
This is, nevertheless, the idea of a translator. Of course
a translator fails, but that does not mean that no one
should try his or her best to come as close humanly
possible to understand a text as its author meant it to be
understood. It takes, as you well know, a lot of very
difficult work, and the rewards of doing a good job are
mostly intangible. The main reward is probably the
enjoyment of doing something challenging.

Having said that, I think we can say that some
translations are objectively better than others,
demonstrably more accurate and palpably less imperfect. No
one ever meets the ideal of a translation, which is to
recreate exactly the meaning of the original author, but
some scholars fails more dramatically than others. The
goal of any exegete is to fail somewhat less dramatically
than others have done.

It may astonish you and Herr Hoogscarpel that I can still
say such seemingly naive things even after reading
Sophisticated Germans like Gadamer and Nietzsche. If so,
enjoy your astonishment to your heart's content. For
myself, my joy comes in doing exegesis as well as my
limitations make possible and then turning to a bit of
hermeneutics for sport. If anyone else benefits from what
I do, fine. If not, tant pis.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy