[Buddha-l] RE: seeking the Pali and Sanskrit term for "holy/ religious/, sacred objects"

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 07:08:58 MST 2005

Replies below. Apologies for the length of the post.

--- Sally McAra <s.mcara at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

[snip]

> Perhaps some more background to invite more discussion from the
> list...
>

> I am interested here in the fact that people built and still build
> elaborate and expensive monuments to their religion.... Despite the
> fact that I don't personally feel that keen on the practice, it is
> not my place to judge whether or not such things are helpful to
> people's minds.

Apparently it is. I can testify to that to some degree from my own
experience.

I was raised Roman Catholic, and grew up in a church now designated a
historical landmark in my city. St. Mary's of the Assumption is simply
beautiful, in a classic sense - every window is stained-glass, with
images of Apostles or saints. The three altars - the right to St.
Joseph, the left to Mary - are imported Italian marble, ornately
decorated and carved. The tabernacles are gold.  There's a throne with
overhaning crown for the visiting bishop. And the wood is about a
century old. A treasure.

That couldn't be more different from anything "worldly" - business,
homes, offices. The atmosphere inside - quiet, with a hint of echo - is
religious, spiritual at least. Other-worldly, so to speak.

> Perhaps the disinterest in this inquiry is because (a) I am female
> ... (joke, I hope! unless Joanna was right...) and/or
> (b) the participants in this list have what Gregory Schopen called
> "Protestant Presuppositions" and reject the idea of relics and other
> "sacred objects" having any benefit in spiritual practice and thus
> they simply don't merit discussion.

Gender is irelevant. I am simply not competent to discuss the academic
matters raised on this list as I have no background.

Your original message appeared directed to those qualified to answer,
rather than addressed to any with some experience or thoughts in the
subject.

Relics do have importance to some groups. Fairly recently a saint's
relic - in a reliquary of course - was in Dallas for a days. The
Catholic faithful turned out by the thousands. Clearly, such holy items
have appeal to a significant number of people, and have for millenia.

Why is another question. IMHO that's a question for psychology, perhaps
sociology as well. Religion is complex and not entirely rational.

Perhaps philosophers, too, as the questions of "meaning" and "value"
may be involved. I don't know. Nice thesis topic, though. <g>

> Well, hmm,  I don't notice any real benefits from stupas & relics
> myself but many people I have interviewed talk about how seeing
> Buddhist art including stupas inspired them to find out about
> buddhism, inspired feelings of peace, and I've even heard, during my
> inquiries, stories from people feeling their meditation practice was
> given a "boost" by having a reliquary touched on their head, etc...
> I find all this rather intriguing perhaps *because* I'm skeptical...
> But I'm not out to knock such practices but rather to try & see it
> from the participants' point of view!

Yes, precisely. We are not all the same. Some people have responses
that others could not imagine. I've been deeply affected by an abstract
painting, while my wife sees only a random pattern of paint splashes.

Perhaps the response to religion is connected with the response to art.
Certainly religious archetecture and music support that idea (e.g., JS
Bach).

In any event, I'm not sure you can see it from the participants' point
of view. It may be entirely subjective, and can't be shared.

I am not moved by relics, but the interiors of some churches -
old-style Catholic or Episcopal/Anglican - leave me breathless. There
*is* a distinct atmosphere there, whatever one may call it.

On the other hand, many conservative Protestant (e.g., Southern
Baptist, Church of Christ) and modern Catholic churches are just plain
boring. They remind me of meeting halls. Lifeless, dull, and as
inspiring as dried paint.

[snip]

Michael