[Buddha-l] Silence of the List

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 13:22:28 MST 2005

Dear Joy,

> To be honest, I already expected as much, but even then I find such
> statement problematic. Why do I have to be a woman to talk about feminism,
> black to talk about racism, gay to talk about homosexuality, a politician
> in power to talk about pacifism with more weight?

Please take this up with Gandhi, whose words I paraphrased as far as my
memory allows.  I have not indicated at any point whether I endorse his
views on the matter.   Your subsequent comments are not without interest,
but I currently have neither the time or energy to debate these matters with
you.  Perhaps somebody else will oblige.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge

PS:  Why do you assume Gandhi was talking about politicians in power ?
Where were they mentioned in my post ??   The strong and weak exist on many
levels and can be deemed thus by a variety of criteria.